Know thy Client
In order to produce great results you have to not only know what you’re talking about, but know who you’re talking to and what matters to them. Working in a b2b environment, Marketing Works understands the importance of truly getting to know a client and their industry.
Following simple guidelines will help you discover more about your clients and ultimately produce better results. Here are some guidelines to get you started:
- Read, read, read. It is important to stay up-to-date with what is going on with your client. Reading the client’s website and materials is an easy way to do this. Ask your clients to be on their mailing list. This will ensure that you receive all of their collateral.
- Dig a little deeper. Go beyond a surface introduction with your client. Understand how they market themselves – and really understand it. Look into what they are doing to promote themselves. See how their sales process works. Spend time with your clients outside of a typical business meeting. Ask them what they have done.
- And then read some more. Read everything you can get your hands on. Look beyond your client’s materials. This is where trade publications come into place. Look at research reports and industry statistics. Understand what tradeshows are out there and which ones your clients are likely to attend. Knowing your client’s industry in and out will help you achieve success.
- Investigate. Look into your client’s customers. See what their pains are and what they are looking for in using your client’s business. Try to understand their industries through and through to set your client up for success.
- Talk to Analysts. Talk to media and industry analysts. Know who covers your client’s industry whether or not you’re involved in PR. Next – call them! Don’t hesitate to ask them questions when you’re trying to understand something. These analysts are constantly reading and reporting news on your client’s industry.
- Utilize social media. Social media is a quick and easy way to learn more. LinkedIn groups in particular will help you stay on top of what’s going on. Be proactive – get involved in the groups by participating in discussions. Discussions can reveal your expertise in the industry.
At Marketing Works we take a strategic approach in getting to know our clients better. Are you looking for a marketing partner who really knows your industry? Contact us to set up your free consultation.
KristenM. • March 20, 2013
Posted in these categories:Marketing Tips
With these tags:B2B, Client's Industry, Knowing your client, Knowing your industry, marketing, marketing tips, Marketing Works, Media Analysts, social media, Understanding Clients, Understanding your client