5 Tips for New Interns
Each quarter, Marketing Works looks for candidates to join our full-time, hands-on internship program. I started my internship in February and had a lot of questions about my new role with this new company. To get a better idea of my role, I was able to look over insights and advice from previous interns. These letters were personal accounts of each individual’s experience, containing what they learned and what they wanted to pass on to the next person who would be in their shoes.
Reading about these experiences gave me a better idea of the projects I was going to work on and provided insight on how to get the most out of my experience. Since the advice helped me, I wanted to share it with other interns who are just getting started in their roles. Here are some tips that helped me:
- Always ask questions. Ask questions about everything and anything. From projects, to past jobs, to personal interests, to hobbies and pastimes. There is nothing that you will learn that will prove to be a waste.
- Put your best foot forward. Really use your time to grow and learn. Be as involved as you can, and make yourself indispensable to the company. Everything you do here as an intern is greatly appreciated!
- Take notes. Keep track of your projects and the tasks you are given by taking thorough notes. These notes will help manage your tasks and serve as a reference to give you a better idea of what you are doing and how you should be doing it.
- Don’t treat the position as an internship. Treat the position as if it were a full-time job. Take advantage of the opportunity to show the company what you are capable of.
- Internships are what you make them. Be a go getter and seek out as many opportunities as you can. If you find yourself in a lull, ask around and see how you can help. Show the team that you are willing to learn.
My piece of advice: Get to know the team individually. Each team member has a different skill set that has gotten them to where they are today. Getting to know them better will help you learn and develop some of those skills yourself to take you wherever you may go.
Do you have additional advice for new interns? Leave them below in the comments.
Bill Kiefaber • May 13, 2013
Posted in these categories:Marketing Tips
With these tags:internship advice, internship program, internship tips, marketing, marketing internship, Marketing Works, Marketing works internship, opportunity, PR, PR internship