Dismas Distribution Services – Strategic Business Plan
Columbus, OH is home to retail and apparel giants like Bath & Body Works, Victoria’s Secret and EXPRESS, making it one of the nation’s largest retail distribution and logistics hubs. While most brands insource fulfillment and supply chain functions, many turn to third-party value-added services (VAS) providers for support when they don’t have the time, staff, space or proper equipment to meet demand. Dismas Distribution Services is a local third-party supply chain VAS provider that serves some of the world’s leading brands in retail and apparel, as well as consumer packaged goods, printing and manufacturing. Known for its high-quality services, including sewing, ticketing, labeling, assembly and kitting, Dismas was experiencing rapid growth without a solid business plan in place. The company’s leadership recognized the need for a structured plan to ensure smart, sustainable growth.
Marketing Works leveraged its MW-360°TM approach to help Dismas put a comprehensive, strategic business plan in place. Knowing the ultimate success of Dismas depends on its ability to connect with major brands, Marketing Works first uncovered perceptions of both active and dormant clients through interviews. While clients sang the company’s praises, some clients were uncertain of the company’s ability to quickly scale its workforce and accommodate diverse projects of varying sizes. While the company’s specialized services already gave it a competitive advantage, an assessment and review of the industry landscape highlighted the opportunity to strengthen this competitive edge by strategically connecting and engaging with retail and apparel brands.
Marketing Works developed a three-year strategic plan based on the outcomes of the MW-360°TM process, including priorities for specific functional areas within the organization and a clearly-defined strategy to help Dismas achieve short- and long-term revenue targets. Dismas immediately implemented the strategic plan, which encompassed six critical areas: space, staffing, technology, service offerings development, operational excellence and marketing and branding.
Within one year of implementing the plan, Dismas successfully completed several critical initiatives, including:
- Relocation to a larger, more scalable space
- Growth of niche services targeting retail and apparel brands
- Acquisition of new, high-margin projects with established brands
- Creation of a marketing plan to raise awareness and recognition of its offerings
- Exceeding short-term revenue targets, resulting in recognition as one of the 50 fastest growing companies in Columbus by Columbus Business First
Two years later, Dismas has successfully completed additional initiatives, including:
- Appointment of a director of business operations and director of sales
- Roll out of a strategy to strengthen workplace culture, employee retention and recruitment
- Revamp of its website
- Implementation of the Entrepreneurial Operating System, a business approach that helps companies align their leaders and create a unified vision
- Greater brand recognition including being honored with the Fast 50 award and local and trade media coverage
Dismas has achieved more than 500 percent revenue growth since 2012 – a true testament to the impact of smart and strategic growth.